[C-U Smokefree] Janet Williams

Jw1440 at aol.com Jw1440 at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 09:25:55 CST 2003

Thank you Scott for the opportunity to share.

I am the director of media advocacy and public affairs for the American
Medical Association Reducing Underage Drinking initiative.  I provide technical
assistance to 12 state coalitions on alcohol policy and media and coordinate
national media and federal initiatives on the issue of underage drinking.  Prior
to joining the AMA, I was director of tobacco prevention and control for the
Cook County Department of Public Health.  I was recruited for this position
because I was one of the chief staff lobbyists on the tobacco settlement
allocation.  I established the County's first tobacco control unit and developed an
award winning media and community outreach campaign on secondhand smoke and its
health risks.  For 13 years I was deputy executive director of public affairs
for the American Lung Association of Metropolitan Chicago and currently serve
on its board of directors and chair its policy committee.  I chair the policy
committee of the Illinois Coalition Against Tobacco. I am recognized locally
and nationally as an expert on media advocacy for which I earned my masters
degree from Depaul University.  I have presented at workshops sponsored by the
Centers for Disease Control, the American Lung Association and several state
health departments.  I appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show with Stan Glantz.