[C-U Smokefree] Madison WI Smokefree!

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 11:22:05 CDT 2004

Hi there--

Madison WI went smokefree yesterday and the health benefits to bar and
restaurant workers (and the entire community) will be tremendous.  Nobody should
have to work in spaces that would make them ill, and nobody should patronize
businesses that would make them ill either.

One day soon, Champaign-Urbana will be liberated from the toxic exposure of
secondhand smoke.  Keep up the good work CU Smoke Free Alliance!

Theo

Theo Tsoukalas, Ph.D.

News Item on Madison WI Follows

Madison (WI) Passes Smokefree Workplace Law

City Council approves law by 15-5 margin

After three hours of public testimony, the Madison (WI) City Council voted
15-5 in favor of smokefree workplace legislation for all Madison workers,
including restaurant and bar workers.

"We've made a significant difference for clean air and health," said Alderman
Steve Holtzman after the vote. "We've passed a model ordinance-- simple, easy
to understand, and self-enforcing."

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz praised the civil debate and said the vote
brings an "excellent result."

"Currently, few bartenders and waitresses benefit from smoke-free workplace
laws," said Gretchen Peterson of the American Cancer Society. "But all workers
should have a right to breath clean air," she said. "We all know there is no
safe level of exposure to second-hand smoke."

Brian Haltinner, a professor at UW-Madison, added that smokers should not
have a right to hurt others with their smoke.  A parade of middle and high school
students also spoke in favor of the proposal which was endorsed 7-1 by the
city's Economic Development Commission and unanimously by the city's Health
Commission.

To send a letter of congratulations to the Madison City Council, go to
www.smokefree.net/Madison