[C-U Smokefree] Another Texan City Goes Smokefree

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Sat Dec 18 17:39:34 CST 2004

Hi all--

FYI

>From Joe Cherner's Listserve.

Keep up the good work!

All the best.

Theo Tsoukalas, Ph.D.

Corpus Christi (TX) Passes Smokefree Restaurant Law
Unanimous vote joins New York, Los Angeles, Boston, and others

Parts excerpted from the Houston Chronicle, 12/15/04

CORPUS CHRISTI, TEXAS -   Corpus Christi has joined hundreds of U.S. cities,
including New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Boston, in passing
smokefree restaurant legislation.  The city council unanimously approved the law
Tuesday, and it is expected to easily pass the formality of a second reading Dec.
21.  The law will take effect on Feb. 1.
Smoking will still be allowed at bars, defined as establishments that make 75
percent or more of their revenues from selling alcohol.

"This is a good day, a good step," Councilman Rex Kinnison said. "I wish we
were going the entire way."

El Paso, Dallas, San Antonio, Arlington, and Plano are among the Texas cities
that already have smokefree restaurant laws.  El Paso also requires bars to
be smokefree.

To win smokefree air where YOU live, go to
http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php