[C-U Smokefree] Help Us Stop Big Tobacco's Sweetheart deal

kdrea at lungil.org kdrea at lungil.org
Thu Jul 8 09:18:42 CDT 2004

Greetings E-Champion,

There's a $10 billion sweetheart deal for Big Tobacco
hidden in the Foreign Sales Corporation (FSC) bill.
And we really need your help to get it out.

Click the link below and send a free letter to your
Senator(s) telling them to remove the tobacco buyout
from the FSC bill.

To take action today, click here:  http://tfk.grassroots.com/Cong/SenateFSC/?lk=0-356222-324425-12664-0

Just two weeks ago, the Surgeon General of the United
States issued a new report that said smoking is even
more harmful than we ever thought.   Congress should
respond now by acting to protect public health.
Instead, the same day the Surgeon General released
his report, powerful Members of Congress were hatching
a plan to give big tobacco a sweetheart deal.

At issue is the government buyout of tobacco farmers
attached to the FSC bill in the House of Representatives.
The House bill will soon sent to the Senate for
consideration.  Your Senator should demand the buyout be
removed from the bill.

Although the buyout is presented as benefiting tobacco
growers, this specific proposal is  a special interest
provision for the tobacco industry. It amounts to
deficit spending and it does nothing to protect public
health, which should be the first priority of our
nation's tobacco policy.  Previous buyout proposals
were funded through assessments on the tobacco companies,
but this proposal shifts the burden from tobacco
companies to taxpayers.  In addition, it eliminates any
production controls on tobacco, including where tobacco
can be grown, which will result in cheaper tobacco for
the tobacco companies. It is paid by taxpayers, not the
tobacco industry, and is deficit spending to the tune
of $9.6 billion.

Take action today!  Send a free letter to your Senator(s)
asking them to remove the buyout of tobacco farmers
from the FSC bill.  This is a bad deal for taxpayers and
a bad deal for public health.

Send your free letter now:  http://tfk.grassroots.com/Cong/SenateFSC/?lk=0-356222-324425-12664-0

After you have sent your letter please forward this
email to all of your friends and family.  We need all
of your help to stop Big Tobacco's sweetheart deal.

Carter Headrick
Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids

Learn more about this campaign and other important issues.
Click here to visit http://www.TobaccoFreeKids.org