[C-U Smokefree] FW: [JoeCherner-announce]Idaho Passes Smokefree Workplace Bill

Kathy Drea kdrea at lungil.org
Fri Mar 19 11:41:25 CST 2004

Idaho Passes Smokefree Workplace Bill

Idaho set to become 10th state to require smokefree restaurants

After three hours of debate, the Idaho House of Representatives voted
44-to-26 to approve smokefree workplace legislation for all indoor
workplaces, except stand-alone bars and bowling alleys.  The bill is now
headed for Governor Dirk Kempthorne's desk for approval or veto (the
Governor has not yet indicated his position).  Idaho residents can send
a letter urging Governor Kempthorne to approve the bill by clicking here
<http://www.smokefree.net/ID> .  (The Idaho Senate passed identical
legislation last month.)

If signed by the Governor, Idaho will become the 10th state to require
restaurants to be 100% smokefree, joining CA, DE, NY, CT, ME, MA, UT,
FL, and VT.  The first six also require bars and bowling alleys to be
smokefree.

Representative Ken Roberts tried to persuade members to exempt
restaurants that have a liquor license, but his attempt failed on a
37-to-33 vote.

The bill was drafted by Senator Brent Hill whose son was diagnosed with
lung cancer last year, and died earlier this month.  "We've got to open
our eyes and realize there's a danger out there that we thought was just
an annoyance," Hill said. "It may not kill as quickly as a drunk driver,
but it kills just as effectively."

Representative Bill Sali argued that the bill was irrational and would
impose unreasonable restrictions on private commerce.  "Why do we have
to tell smokers, who are already separated from those who don't want to
smoke, that they have to go outside?"  Like all who take such a
position, Rep. Sali ignored the workers.

"Smokefree workplace legislation is about dignity and respect for
workers," said Joe Cherner, Founder of BREATHE-- Bar and Restaurant
Employees Advocating Together for a Healthy Environment.  "We wish Idaho
had protected bar and bowling alley workers too, as their lungs are just
as precious as everyone else's, but the votes weren't there."

Joseph W. Cherner

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."    Margaret Mead

To search the JoeCherner-announce archives, go to:
http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/messages
<http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/messages/>

Sent to 55,444 JoeCherner-announce subscribers
http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/subscribers
<http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/subscribers/>

uns-102-23010- at smokefree.net

If you would like to help prevent another generation of tobacco
addiction and disease,
click here <http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php> .

Sent to kdrea at lungil.org