[C-U Smokefree] Obesity

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Tue Mar 30 13:12:44 CST 2004

Hi all--

I had no intention to send this one out to the listserve because I am
occupied with more urgent things at this time. Yet what I see on the part of the DI
and its staff is something that should not be accepted or tolerated.

The DI published a piece on obesity today stating that it kills more people
now than smoking. (I have the piece in its entirity below)

  A couple of interesting points (1) while I do appreciate the effort of the
DI to alert UIUC students about the dangers of obesity, for the life of me, I
have not seen yet a conserted and systematic effort on the part of the DI to
alert students about the dangers of smoking and most importantly the dangers of
exposure to secondhand smoke (what is going on with the staff at the Daily
Illini?).  I have seen plenty of the opposite trend--to sell tobacco use as a
cultural asset of campus life, (huh?).

(2) The DI piece claims that a new study reveals that obesity is so bad that
it surpasses smoking as the number one killer disease. But the is no men
tioning of the study itself, its author(s) , or the journal in which it was
published --this is a fundamental piece of infornmation that should be included in the
reporting on obesity.   In the absence of this information , and give, the
record the DI has on reporting on tobacco use, it should not be surprising that
the significance of the piece on obesity has nothing to do with obesity, but
it has a lot to do with the mentioning of smoking being the lesser of two
evils--that is smoking not being the number one killer. This is consistent with the
DI's track record of expressing views on tobacco that are misplaced and lack
any sense of responsible journalism, and its civic obligations towards the
well being of the community.

--tht

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

SOURCE: http://www.dailyillini.com/news/1356
Accessed 3/30/2004

THE DAILY ILLINI

Campus reacts to obesity studies

By Kali Bhandari | Staff writer
Published Tuesday, March 30, 2004

A recent study revealed that obesity is set to take over smoking as the
number one most preventable killer in the United States by the year 2005. While
experts increasingly warn of the risks related to obesity, some people on this
campus are still astonished by the findings.
"I think that's really scary," said Lisa Garnett, sophomore in ACES. "I'm
surprised that it's such a big killer. I mean, I've always (read warnings about)
obesity, but you always think smoking is the worst thing."
But those who deal with obesity and weight issues every day, as well as other
students, aren't surprised with the findings.
"I agree (with the findings)," said Becky Roach, nutrition education
coordinator for the McKinley Health Center Wellness Promotion Unit. "It's our society
in general — we have all these little machines that do everything for us —
open the window for us, close the window for us, roll up the garage door for us
— we live in a wonderful society."
While many college students aren't affected by obesity, Roach said sedentary
lifestyles can lead to problems such as diabetes and an increased risk of
heart attacks. She said McKinley recommends increased exercise and healthy eating.
The center also offers healthy weight management training and registered
dieticians to address student concerns.
Allison Mosley, senior in ACES, said those who suffer from obesity should
take more personal responsibility, unless the problem is genetic.
"I'm not shocked," Mosley said. "I guess I think it's to do with leisure
today — I've never really had a problem with obesity, but I try to stay active."
Sandra Hannum, an academic professional in the Food Science and Human
Nutrition department, said obesity in college students develops because of an
increased workload following high school and a change in diet.
"College students usually end up having to do a lot of sitting and reading,
they usually have less sports activities than (in) high school, and usually eat
whatever is fastest and easiest to eat — it's easy to see why they'd gain
weight," Hannum said.
Obesity is easier to prevent than to reverse, Hannum said. She suggested
students keep playing their favorite sports, try not to reach for their favorite
fast foods and start cooking their meals instead.
"The students in the Food Science and Human Nutrition department that cook
usually have less weight problems," Hannum said. "There's a lot of things that
are easy to make and aren't as expensive as going to a restaurant. People who
like to cook generally watch what they eat. They're generally better off."
Niamh Condon, senior in LAS, is the president of Illini On The Move, a
registered student organization that promotes a healthier lifestyle to combat
obesity.
"We thought (the findings) were shocking," Condon said. "I say it's something
we should pay attention to — college students are not very obese, but people
could get lazy, which spills later on to life ... into patterns that could
lead to obesity later on."
Condon said she and a friend had the inspiration for the organization after a
physiology professor explained the risks of obesity. They figured that if
they didn't know about the subject, then other people on campus didn't know about
it. They are organizing a walk on May 1 to promote walking and healthier
lifestyles.
"Most college students should make sure they know ... that they're aware,"
Condon said. "I'm not saying that everyone needs to be skinny, but if they're
not careful, they're going to be a part of the statistic."