[C-U Smokefree] Smoke Free Sweden

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Tue May 18 14:42:13 CDT 2004

FYI.

Keep up the good work.

TheoTsoukalas, Ph.D.

Sweden Parliament Votes 245 to 45 for Smokefree Air

Parts excerpted from AFP, 5/13/04

STOCKHOLM: The Swedish parliament voted last Wednesday in favor of a
government proposal to clear the air in bars and restaurants starting on June 1, 2005.
 Lawmakers approved the proposal by 245 votes to 45, despite objections from
the Swedish hotel and restaurant association.

"We share the government's conclusion that a law is needed to ensure that
restaurants, cafes and pubs stay free of smoke," the majority committee said in a
statement.  "In our decision, the committee emphasizes that international
studies and developments in Sweden show that a smokefree law is needed."

A smokefree law in bars and restaurants in neighboring Norway is scheduled to
go into effect on June 1.  European countries Ireland and the Netherlands
introduced similar smokefree laws earlier this year.  Outside of Europe, New
Zealand, India, Uganda, and Bhutan have adopted similar measures.