[C-U Smokefree] FW: [JoeCherner-announce]Smokefree Ballot Results

Kathy Drea kdrea at lungil.org
Wed Nov 3 13:51:42 CST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Cherner [mailto:Joe at smokefree.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 4:00 AM
To: Joe Cherner announce list
Subject: [JoeCherner-announce]Smokefree Ballot Results

There is mostly good news on smokefree ballot issues.  In particular,
voters in Columbus (OH), the nation's 14th largest city, upheld the City
Council's smokefree workplace law passed earlier this year.  Here are
all of the unofficial smokefree ballot results (wins are in red
below)...  Joe

________________________________

Local Ballot Issues

Lincoln NE - Vote YES.  On November 2nd, voters will determine the fate
of a proposed smokefree workplace law for ALL workers, including
restaurant and bar workers.  The law was originally passed by the
legislature, but tobacco interests gathered signatures to challenge it
and put it before the voters. (We won 62% to 38%)

Copperas Cove TX - Vote YES.  On November 2nd, voters will determine the
fate of a proposed smokefree workplace law for ALL workers, including
restaurant and bar workers.  The law was originally passed by the
legislature, but tobacco interests gathered signatures to challenge it
and put it before the voters.  (We won 61% to 39%)

Winooski VT - Vote YES.  Voters are being asked to affirm the city
council's decision to make bars smokefree.  Restaurants have been
smokefree for many years.  (We won 64% to 36%)

Wauson OH- Vote YES.  Wauseon's ballot initiative would provide a
smokefree workplace for most workers.  Last year, the same initiative
failed by 12 votes.  Hopefully, we can do better this year.  (We won by
140 votes)

Columbus OH - Vote YES.  On November 2nd, voters will determine the fate
of a proposed smokefree workplace law for ALL workers, including
restaurant and bar workers.  The law was originally passed by the
legislature, but tobacco interests gathered signatures to challenge it
and put it on the ballot.  (We won 55% to 45%)

Toledo OH - Vote NO.  Tobacco interests are trying to repeal Toledo's
smokefree workplace law passed in 2003.  Vote NO to keep Toledo's
current smokefree workplace law.   (We lost 49% to 51%)

Wausau WI - Vote YES.   Wausau voters will vote on an advisory
referendum that would make restaurants smokefree.  The legislature will
likely codify the results with a law.  (We won 58% to 42%)

Duluth MN - Vote YES. The smokefree workplace referendum approved by
council members on September 16 would give all workers a safe, healthy
smokefree workplace.  Restaurants are currently smokefree.  So the
referendum is mostly about bars and nightclubs.  Tobacco smoke is not
just toxic in restaurants.  It's toxic in all workplaces. (We lost 46%
to 54%)

Fargo ND - Voters in Fargo will have three smokefree workplace proposals
to vote on when they go to the polls on November 2nd.

*	The first option is for smokefree workplace legislation except
for workers in restaurants and bars.
*	The second option is for smokefree workplace legislation except
for workers in businesses that ban customers less than 21 years of age.
*	The third option is for smokefree workplace legislation for ALL
workers.  (We won 55% to 45%)

West Fargo ND - Voters in West Fargo will have two smokefree workplace
voting options when they go to the polls on November 2nd.

*	The first option is for smokefree workplace legislation except
for workers in businesses that ban customers less than 21 years of age.
*	The second option is for smokefree workplace legislation for ALL
workers.  (We won 58% to 42%)

State Ballot Issues (Cigarette Excise Tax)  (We won all)

*	Colorado - Amendment 35 - Vote YES.  Tobacco Tax Increase for
Health-Related Purposes. The amendment would raise the cigarette tax by
64 cents per pack up to 84 cents per pack beginning 1/1/05.  Colorado's
cigarette tax is currently one of the lowest in the nation.  (We won 53%
to 47%)
*	Montana - Initiative 149 - Vote YES.  The 2004 Healthy Kids,
Healthy Montana Tobacco Tax Increase Act. The initiative would raise the
cigarette tax by $1 per pack up to $1.70 per pack.  (We won 63% to 37%)
*	Oklahoma - Question 713 - Vote YES.  The tobacco Tax Health
Initiative would raise Oklahoma's cigarette tax by 55 cents per pack.
(We won 61% to 39%)

To win smokefree air where YOU live, go to
http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php

Joseph W. Cherner

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."    Margaret Mead

To search the JoeCherner-announce archives, go to:
http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/messages
<http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/messages/>

Sent to 54,745 JoeCherner-announce subscribers
http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/subscribers
<http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/subscribers/>

If you would like to help prevent another generation of tobacco
addiction and disease,
click here <http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php> .

Sent to kdrea at lungil.org