[C-U Smokefree] News from the Prez

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 18 14:42:21 CST 2004

Happy GASO (Great American Smoke-Out) Day!!

I, for one, think we should sponsor "Great American Second-Hand
Smoke-Out Day" where all of our restaurants and bars prohibited smoking
for a day...

In addition to activities on campus hosted by Colleges Against Cancer
this week, there are many things going in here at C-U Smokefree!

First, our RESTAURANT OBSERVATION STUDY is underway and YOU get to be
the researcher!

Just drop me an email and I'll send you a copy of our restaurant
observation form you can print, and the next time you (unfortunately)
find yourself eating in a smoking restaurant, fill out one of our forms.
And you can fill out as many as you like, as often as you like!

Community Health Student Paul Holze is tracking the "observed"
restaurants for us, so when you finish, send Paul an email, then get the
completed form back to me at CPRD. Instructions are on the form.  It's
easy, fun, and very productive!!  Paul will be sending periodic emails
to the list with the "observed" smoking restaurants (that way, we don't
have to patronize them again - until they go smokefree, that is).

We hope to have the form available through the website soon.

Also, I heard from a friend that she was one of the surveyed in the ICAT
Smokefree Public Opinion poll.  We hope to hear about the results of
that poll very soon! Stay Tuned...

We're also surveying ALL C-U RESTAURANTS AND BARS - and support for a
smokefree ordinance is surprisingly high even among smoking-permitted
restaurants! But we still wait for the final results.

Finally, DECEMBER 2 WILL BE A BIG DAY!!

>From 10 to 2, we have reserved a display spot at the City of Urbana
Employee Health Benefits Fair, and we will need volunteers to staff that
table.

The event is 10-2 with setup from 9-10 am.  I'll cover the last shift
from 1-2 and "take-down".  We need three or four other volunteers to
help at all other times.  Send me an email to let me know when you can
help out!

Also, we will be having a CAMPUS ORGANIZING MEETING at 5:30 pm on
Thursday in Room 217 of the Illini Union.  The goal of this meeting is
to meet and have the opportunity to work with some of our student
volunteers and to increase the presence of the CU Smokefree Alliance on
the UIUC campus.  We are a Registered Organization on the UIUC campus.
Somebody should get out there and chalk the sidewalks!

[Note: We should do the same at Parkland soon!]

Finally, don't forget our next REGULAR CU-SMOKEFREE ALLIANCE MEETING
which will be in the Fritz Conference Room at Carle Hospital at 7pm.

And we have another new organizational supporter: MATZNER CHIROPRACTIC
CLINIC.  Thanks to Dr. Doug Matzner (who also had their staff and
patients sign our individual supporter petitions as well) and if you
feel a little out of alignment, stop by their office on North Mattis for
an exam and adjustment!

Thanks,

And C-U Smokefree!!

President Scott

Scott P. Hays, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
Center for Prevention Research and Development
Institute of Government and Public Affairs
University of Illinois
Champaign, Illinois  61820

email: sphays at uiuc.edu
phone: 217.244.2616