[C-U Smokefree] FW: [joecherner-announce-state.-fr]Minnesota Likely to Become Nation's 8th Smokefree Workplace State

Kathy Drea kdrea at lungil.org
Mon Nov 29 08:34:53 CST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Cherner [mailto:Joe at smokefree.org]
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 5:58 PM
To: JoeCherner-Announce
Subject: [joecherner-announce-state.-fr]Minnesota Likely to Become
Nation's 8th Smokefree Workplace State

Minnesota Likely to Become Nation's 8th Smokefree Workplace State

Governor and Majority Leader Support Smokefree Workplace Law

Parts excerpted from Associated Press, 11/19/04

ST. PAUL - Minnesota is likely to become the nation's eighth smokefree
workplace state, joining California, Delaware, New York, Connecticut,
Maine, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.

"The bottom line is, I'm prepared and will sign a smokefree workplace
bill if it reaches my desk," Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty said after a
recent meeting with Democratic Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson, who
also supports such a law.

Minnesota has been unable to pass smokefree workplace legislation for
the last few years, but this month voters ousted Lynda Boudreau,
chairwoman of a key committee opposing such legislation, along with 12
others.  The only major opponent left is House Speaker Steve Sviggum who
controls a mere two-seat majority.

A recent Star Tribune survey found significant numbers of lawmakers in
both the House and Senate who were open to a smokefree workplace law.
The newspaper said it reached more than three-quarters of the
Legislature's members.

Doug Meslow, a Republican from White Bear Lake, says he's ready to come
forward with a bill.  He said selling the idea is getting easier as
people see the issue as one of workplace safety, not personal
preference.

"I don't think people get fired up by saying 'Oh, gee, it's annoying to
other patrons,'" Meslow said. "I don't think that's a good enough reason
either.  But when we talk about repeated exposure by employees, it's a
health issue."

"Bar and restaurant workers should have the same right to a smokefree
work environment as every other worker," says Joe Cherner, founder of
BREATHE-- Bar and Restaurant Employees Advocating Together for a Healthy
Environment.  "No worker should have to breathe eight hours of tobacco
smoke pollution to hold a job, because it causes cancer, respiratory
illness, and heart disease."

Minnesota residents: Click here <http://www.smokefree.net/MN>  to win
smokefree workplace legislation in Minnesota.

Other residents: Click here <http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php>  to
win smokefree workplace legislation where YOU live.

Joseph W. Cherner

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."    Margaret Mead

To search the JoeCherner-announce archives, go to:
http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/messages
<http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/messages/>

Sent to 55,447 JoeCherner-announce subscribers
http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/subscribers
<http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/subscribers/>

If you would like to help prevent another generation of tobacco
addiction and disease,
click here <http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php> .

Sent to kdrea at lungil.org