[C-U Smokefree] FW: (SMARTalk)Hennepin County Passes Smoke-Free Ordinance

Kathy Drea kdrea at lungil.org
Wed Oct 13 13:39:40 CDT 2004

Yesterday Hennepin County, Minnesota's largest county with one-fourth of
the state's entire population, passed a comprehensive smoke-free
ordinance with a 5 to 2 vote. Minneapolis and Bloomington are in
Hennepin County.  The ordinance covers all licensed food and beverage
establishments, including bars.

Outdoor spaces at food estblishments, private clubs when not open to the
public, and sleep rooms at a hotel or motel are excluded.

The effective date is March 31, 2005.

There are no preemptive clauses in the ordinance.

Joy Carmona
Senior Director, Public Policy
American Lung Association of MN
490 Concordia Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55103
(o) 651-268-7588; (c) 651-216-4297; (f) 651-227-5459
joy.carmona at alamn.org
Join our Advocacy Network by visiting our web site at:
http://lungaction.org/alamn

SMARTalk (Settlement Money and Resources Talk) is a project of the National Center for Tobacco-Free Kids.  All messages are confidential unless otherwise noted.  Should you wish to distribute a message, please seek the author's permission. If you have questions regarding SMARTalk, please contact SMARTalk Facilitator Joel Papo at 917-273-5921 or email jpapo at earthlink.net.