[C-U Smokefree] Updates

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 15 15:22:44 CDT 2004

Just a few quick "updates from the Prez"

First, a reminder that we will be setting up our display tent at the Urbana Farmer's Market tomorrow morning.  I will be putting our tent up at 7 am (and could use some help!)  Anyone who volunteered, or even if you didn't, please come down to the Urbana Farmer's Market between 7 and 12.  We'll even give you time to do some shopping!  If you get a chance, please email me to tell me when you can come to help out: sphays at uiuc.edu

I did a radio interview this morning with 107.1, WPGU, the student-run radio station on campus.  We talked for about an hour and it went very well.  Nicole Osilin, News Director for WPGU (and journalism student) seemed very supportive.  Let me know if anyone hears it - I'm more a of blues man, myself.

I will be speaking at a meeting of the "Heart and Stroke Network" next Tuesday at 4:30 pm at the First Station on Mattis.  This is sponsored by the AHA, and they are considering the possibility of making the effort to create smokefree public places their new "focus issue." This is a group of Health care professionals and community leaders who are local supporters of the AHA.  If anyone else from our group would like to attend (its a reception with finger food provided), please let me know and I'll pass along the information to you.

Kathy Gary has led the charge to interview several more council members.  In the past few weeks, we have spoken to Chenowyth and Otto in Urbana, and Pirok in Champaign.  I spoke to Bruno in Champaign on the phone.  While Bruno and Pirok did not admit support, they did say "public opinion doesn't support you" and I asked "would a poll help to convince you?" and they said "certainly."  They also seemed receptive to the idea of smokefree restaurants, but not bars.  Urbana is highly supportive, but wants Champaign to go along.  However, Champaign council members have been practically bragging to us that we have only one vote and eight members are opposed -- and we need five members to even hold a public study session on the issue!!  This kind of talk only makes me want to work harder! It's going to take all of the effort we have to bring Champaign along and mobilize Champaign citizens behind us!

Pirtle, LaDue, and Ennen are still not returning our calls. I tried calling Kathy Ennen and the man that answered the phone said "no need to leave your number - she has gotten several calls from your members already!"  So why hasn't she called back???

On a related note, Kathy Drea from ALA says our public opinion poll is on the way. They will oversample Champaign by polling 300 Champaign residents and 100 Urbana residents.

And I am in the process of mailing a survey to the 177 smoke-permitted restaurants in C-U to find out their opinions and attitudes regarding second-hand smoke.

Our next meeting is changed slightly and will be held on Nov. 9th at 7.

Finally, we will also set up a CU Smokefree Display at the Parkland Health Fair later this month.  Details are to come - but if any of you can help out with that, please let me know.

Thanks, and C-U Smokefree!!

Scott
The Prez

www.cu-smokefree.org
sphays at uiuc.edu
778-2645

Feel free to call me or email anytime with questions, comments, or concerns!