[C-U Smokefree] Cancer surviror supports smokefree air

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 15:42:17 CDT 2004

Hi all--

The material below is from Joe Cherner's website about the current situation
in Toledo OH and the call from a cancer survivor (from secondhand smoke
exposure) to support the Toledo ordinance.

Good luck with your campaign.

Dr. Tsoukalas
theotskl at aol.com

JOE CHERNER''S MATERIAL BELOW

Cancer survivor makes case for smokefree workplace law
Tobacco interests try to repeal Toledo smokefree workplace law

Parts excerpted from the Toledo Blade (Ohio), 10/16/04

The man featured in local television ads stripping off a white collar
protecting a surgical hole in his neck spoke out yesterday urging voters to reject
Issue 4, an initiative on the Nov. 2 ballot that would weaken Toledo, Ohio's
smokefree workplace law.
"I'm not exactly a polished public speaker," said Richard Fox, 57, through a
throat opened by a surgical laryngectomy.
He spoke about how his mother, his favorite uncle, his friends, and his
co-workers all smoked. And though he didn't, "I got my cancer probably from the
secondhand smoke of others," he said during a news conference at the city health
department.
The event was sponsored by Citizens for a Healthy Toledo, a group campaigning
to protect Toledo's existing smoking ban.
Mr. Fox underwent two operations for cancer: the first to remove his throat,
and the second, six years later, to remove part of a lung. But he said for
him, the issue is even more personal than his own condition. His big brother,
Donald Fox, who was also a nonsmoker, died at age 38 of cancer of the tongue,
jaw, and neck.
"Sometimes in the wintertime, when we were growing up, the air in the kitchen
would be blue. Secondhand smoke wasn't even a word then," he said.
Seven states-- California, Delaware, New York, Connecticut, Maine,
Massachusetts, and Rhode Island-- and hundreds of cities have passed smokefree workplace
legislation for ALL workers (including restaurant and bar workers).

To win smokefree air, go to http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php