[C-U Smokefree] Oklahoma has referendum on ballot to vote Question 713 for or against a tax hike

Rickurbana at aol.com Rickurbana at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 19:15:49 CDT 2004

Oklahoma has on November 2 ballot a referendum to vote for or against a 200%
increase in cigarette taxes.  Several are against it.  I am in Oklahoma
visiting family, and I picked up a sheet, "Ax the Tax" at a service station.  The
tax increase, if passed would amount o ver 50 cents per pack or $5.00 per carton.

There is a website www.stop713.com . For further information, visit that site.

Many are aginst the cigarette tax increase in that it targets those who can
least afford it, and it would be harmful to businesses near state lines, as
people would buy cigarettes out-of-state,and that the tax would largely to
replace a capital gains tax on the wealthy, rather than fund smoking cessation
programs, and that it singles out smokers to pataxto benefit nearly all.

This tax would also diminish local control of tax dollars.

But, on the other hand, we need to injcreases taxes on cigarettes and other
tobacco products, to discourage their use.

George R. Carlisle, Jr.

It would also encourage smokers to buy cigarettes from Indian Reservations or
on Internet, to avoid taxes.

Since tobacco sales are declining nationwide, it is said thaqtthe state
should not count on a declining source of revenue to fund programs.