[C-U Smokefree] News-Gazette editorial: Antismoking Drive is Moving Forward in C-U

George R. Carlisle, Jr. carlisle at soltec.net
Mon Sep 6 01:51:00 CDT 2004

To the Editor:

    Hats off to the more than 900 people who signed the CU-Smokefree
petition at the Downtown Urbana Sweetcorn Festival [August 27 and 28, 2004].

    We are well on our way toward achieving our goal of 3,000 or more
signatures.  The group will ahve a booth at the Urbana Farmer's Market of
September 11 [2004] for those who have not had a chance to sign previously.

    Secondhand smoke is becoming more and more of a health nuisance in
public places. Often, when I have filled up my car with gasoline and am
waiting in line to pay, I must put up with a noxious cigarette burning in an
ashtray behind the counter.   This is also a potential fire hazard ifsome
gasoline should spill and the vapors go inside the building.

    We must do all we can to ban smoking in public places in Champaign and
Urbana.  Carle Foundation Hospital took a step by banning smoking outside on
its grounds on September 1 [2004], as well as inside all of its buildings.

    If you would like mroe information, please go to www.CU-Smokefree.org .
There are articles posted about successful smoking bans in other localities,
minutes and announcements of our meetings, online petition forms and other
ways you can help.

George R. Carlisle, Jr.

Urbana