[C-U Smokefree] Air quality monitoring training

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 21:13:37 CDT 2005

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District and members of CU Smokefree are about to engage in a project to scientifically measure the particulate matter in local establishments. That is, the level of cigarette smoke pollution in the indoor air.

A contingency from C-U including Kerisa, Nikki, and Kathy is headed to Lexington to be trained on using the monitoring equipment this Wednesday, August 11.  There is still one more slot if anyone else is interested in going.  We should be able to reimburse your expenses with grant funds we should be receiving sometime soon.

The project will begin soon, and other volunteers can be trained locally to participate.

In other cities, this project has repeatedly found much greater levels of air pollution indoors than outdoors in one case, demonstrating worse pollution in NY bars than at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel during rush hour.  Smokefree establishments have 85% less particulate pollution.

So we'll have this data for C-U soon.

If you're interested in participating in this training, let me know ASAP.

Thanks, and CU Smokefree!

Scott
The Prez
sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com