[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 22:23:23 CDT 2005

Hi to all who yearn to breathe free:

Just a few quick updates and save-the-date reminders.

First, a word of thanks to the volunteers who helped out at the Sweetcorn Fest: George, Eric, Karen, Dan, Cheri, June, and Katie. I'll give myself a pat on the back as well, thankyouverymuch.  As a result of our efforts, city council will be hearing the voice of the people loud and clear!

Second, a reminder that we need to support Smokefree Happy Hour at the Blind Pig tomorrow night, Tuesday August 30 and every Tuesday night.  I'll be there at 5:30 - I hope others can make it out - see you there!!

Next, we have our regular CU Smokefree weekly planning meeting Wednesday, August 31 at 5:30 in Room L159 at Parkland. A Subway sandwich tray will be provided free of charge along with drinks.  Come and have dinner on us!  We have lots on the agenda as the Study Session approaches!

We will again be staffing our tent at the Urbana Farmer's Market this Saturday September 3 from 6:30 - noon.   And we will again be staffing the tent Saturday September 10.  We need volunteers to help spread the word about the Study Session!

Finally, the Study Session for the Champaign City Council is Tuesday, September 13 at 7 pm.  Please begin to spread the word to all groups and lists you are a part of.  I will send a special message about that suitable for forwarding soon.

Beyond the meetings, I hope you are watching for our advertising campaigns.  We have a series of advertisements running in the News-Gazette and will begin a radio campaign next week on WDWS AM.

We'd like to do more with advertising and would welcome your financial contribution to CU Smokefree to help us out.  Contributions are not tax deductible, but your investment return will be far greater than a measly old tax benefit anyway!  See the website for mailling information, and we hope to have electronic payment available soon!

We also could use more supportive letters appearing in the News-Gazette.  Watch for an upcoming News-Gazette story and other stories as the study session approaches.

Thanks as usual for your support!

CU Smokefree!

Scott
The Prez