[C-U Smokefree] Matt Varble endorsement

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 3 08:48:46 CST 2005

Hello to all!

The C-U Smokefree Alliance is proud to announce our unanimous
endorsement of Champaign City Council District 3 candidate Matt Varble.

Matt addressed our meeting Tuesday night and expressed strong and
convincing support for our cause.  We feel Matt is committed to working
as hard as possible for making smokefree public places a reality for the
city of Champaign.

Matt is challenging Vic McIntosh for the District 3 seat.  We have met
with Mr. McIntosh and he has stated his opposition to even having the
Champaign City Council take up smokefree public places in a study
session.  More recently, he has not responded to email contact inviting
him to address our group or even to further consider his position on
this issue.  For more information on Mr. McIntosh's position, see his
quotes in the recent Daily Illini article:

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/2005/01/14/News/SmokeFree.Alliance.Pushe
s.For.Fresher.CU-833321.shtml

We would like to encourage all C-U Smokefree Alliance supporters who
live in Champaign District 3 to get out and cast a vote for Matt Varble
in both the February 22 primary election and in the April 5 General
Election for Champaign City Council.

And if you live in Champaign and are unsure of your district, check out
the following link:

http://archive.ci.champaign.il.us/archive/dscgi/ds.py/Get/File-1473/city
Districts.pdf

Both links are also available from our website.

Please tell your friends about Matt Varble and spread the word; letters
to the News-Gazette and other media outlets would be most welcome.  In
addition, we will be organizing our own volunteers to assist Matt with
his campaign as the elections draw nearer.

And stay tuned for more announcements and endorsements of candidates who
are committed to making smokefree public places a reality for Champaign
and Urbana!

C-U Smokefree!

Dr. Scott P. Hays
President