[C-U Smokefree] House Bill 672 - clean indoor air

Kathy Drea kdrea at lungil.org
Tue Feb 1 11:34:49 CST 2005

C-U Smokefree,

Please call Rep. Naomi Jakobsson (373-5000) or Rep. Bill Black
(431-1986) and ask them to co-sponsor House Bill 672.

This is the local control-clean indoor air bill.  We currently have 21
co-sponsors on the bill.  Rep. Jakobsson and Rep. Black both voted yes
last year on this bill.  We are trying to get as many co-sponsors signed
on as possible.

Here is the bill language:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=672&GAID=8&GA=94&D
ocTypeID=HB&LegID=15096&SessionID=50
<http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=672&GAID=8&GA=94&
DocTypeID=HB&LegID=15096&SessionID=50>

Talking points you could pass on:

The bill is being sponsored by Rep. Karen Yarbrough.

This bill would give LOCAL CONTROL on clean indoor air.

It would allow local municipalities the right to consider/pass clean
indoor air laws IF THEY WISH.

The bill would not require anyone, anywhere to go smokefree.

There are now several states (CA, NY, FL, MA, ME, CT, ID, and many
others) and countries (Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Norway) that have strong
clean indoor air laws to protect workers - it is not right that Illinois
communities cannot address this important public health issue.

All studies that have been done by reputable groups (not the tobacco
industry) have shown either no economic impact or a positive economic
impact after smoke free policies have been enacted.

Thank you,

Kathy Drea

Kathy Drea, Director, Public Policy

American Lung Association of Illinois-Iowa

3000 Kelly Lane

Springfield, IL  62711

1-800-788-5864

Fax: 217-787-5916