[C-U Smokefree] Another supporter joins our cause

Kathleen Gary kgary at uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 14 10:20:43 CDT 2005

Hello everyone,

The long awaited endorsement of Champaign-Urbana Public Health District
(CUPHD) has finally come to a conclusion.  They have voted in favor of C-U
Smokefree Alliance's mission and signed our Supporter's Resolution.  Hurrah!
This is a great achievement!  And we have waited long and hard for this.
Thanks to new board members-- one such Linda Abernathy-- who supported the
vote in favor of the resolution.  And a very big thanks to Scott Hays who
attended the "study session" of the board prior to this meeting to present
our agenda before them.  Great job preparing the board in understanding our
work, Scott!  You made their vote last nice easy to make.

I attended the CUPHD meeting from 5:00-5:30 p.m. last night June 13, 2005.
I spoke during the public comment period and said that the C-U Smokefree
Alliance was please that this was on the agenda and let them know I was
there to make myself available to them should they have further questions
that I could clarify once they came to this agenda item.  We were first on
the agenda!!
(Hurrah for me!)

I did clarify with them that their "resolution" was essentially an
"endorsement" of C-U's mission and it required no further action unless they
wanted to become more engaged in the process/action.  There endorsement
would be publicly acknowledged along with other community organizations that
signed the supporter's resolution and would be publicly displayed.  They
voted... All were in favor, none opposed.  The chair will be the person
signing the resolution.  Very good news for us!  Our work keeps growing and
supporters are coming to the table, we should all feel very proud!

Kathy Gary