[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez: Study Session!!

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 09:22:55 CDT 2005

At last night's city council meeting during the public comment period, Matt Varble talked about the results of our Community Forum last week and asked again about having the city conduct a study session on the issue.

To our surprise, there was a high level of interest in doing just that.  Several members expressed an interest in seeing more details about our data and studies, which we are well prepared to do.

Even Mayor Schweighart expressed an interest in an ordinance limited to restaurants.  Tom Bruno was ready to move forward with the session as of last night, Kathy Ennen wanted the details on our public opinion survey, and of course Jackson and Rosales are already on board and remain so, but apparently didn't say much during this discussion.  If you're doing the math, that's five votes, people!  Be sure to watch the council meeting rebroadcast if you're interested and I'll try to get a copy for us.

This is VERY exciting news and is the beginning of the culmination of what we've all worked long and hard to accomplish! We will be meeting Thursday to talk about creating a packet of information to respond to council's requests and we have a regularly scheduled meeting next Tuesday at Ned Kelly's. Don't miss either one!

What I would ask of all supporters is that you contact your council member ASAP (district and at-large members and the Mayor) if you live in Champaign and tell them how glad you are that the issue is moving to a study session and you look forward to a smokefree Champaign.  use our website for links, a district map and contact information. Thank them for considering the issue and encourage them to support it.

Needless to say, pay close attention to dates because we need an excellent turnout of supporters on the evening the study session is scheduled.

C-U Smokefree!

Prez Scott

http://mail.yahoo.com