[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 21:15:30 CST 2005

  Updates from the Prez

  Things are pretty quiet around CU Smokefree as we go into the holidays.  Just a few updates to keep folks in the loop.

  First, our next regular meeting will be Wednesday, Dec. 7 at 5:30 at Parkland. We’re considering a shift in location back to Urbana for future meetings so stay tuned.

  Four of us; Cheri Manrique, Kathy Gary, Dan Lewart and myself recently had the pleasure of attending the smokefree policy training in Springfield hosted by the ALA and put on by Americans for Nonsmokers’ Rights.  It was exciting to feel that we here in C-U were out there ahead of many other Illinois cities, and many people are paying close attention to what we do here.  It pays to remember that we are part of a much larger movement in Illinois, around the country, and around the world.

  The other lesson from the training is that we could certainly do more smokefree awareness in C-U and build up our organization’s base by seeking more support from communities of color, the faith community, the medical community, insurance companies and agencies, and leaders from the restaurant and bar community, including both owners and wait-staff.  If anyone has any ideas from these areas let us know. If you know of a business or organization that should be supportive and isn't on our list, let us know that as well. In addition, we’ll likely be focusing on more intensive smokefree education efforts in the new year.

  Also, Urbana council member Dennis Roberts attended the training and seemed to get a lot out of it, particularly strengthening his commitment to a smokefree policy for Urbana.

  As for Urbana, seven of our members recently attended their council meeting, yielding a front page News-Gazette story (see the website if you didn’t catch it).  We asked them to consider the ordinance, and they will likely take it up in January. Hopefully they can be convinced to take the lead on the issue regardless of the outcome in Champaign.

  As Thanksgiving approaches, please take the time to recognize the many blessings you already have in life, including your many smokefree dining options, of course.  If you’re eating out, consider Ned Kelly’s, Silvercreek, Milo’s, Radio Maria, the Bread Co., Pickles, as well as many other fine establishments.  If you have questions about any place, drop me an email and I’ll let you know their policy.  And I would like to wish all of you a joyous and smokefree Thanksgiving (unless you like smoked turkey, that is!)

  And as for Christmas, we are planning a C-U Smokefree Christmas party with live music provided by members and supporters (any members and supporters out there interested?).  Long-time member and local musician Cheri Manrique is already on board for an open “jam”!

  C-U Smokefree!

  Scott
  The Prez
  sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com