[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 16:37:04 CDT 2005

Greetings to all smokefree supporters!

As our study session approaches, there is lots of activity in the CU Smokefree Alliance.

First and foremost, here are the study session details:

What: Champaign City Council Study Session on the Smoking Regulations Ordinance. For details on what council is considering, go to:

http://www.ci.champaign.il.us/archive/index.php?where=http://archive.ci.champaign.il.us/archive/dscgi/ds.py/View/Collection-25

(You will have to cut and paste this, or just go to www.ci.champaign.il.us and then to City Council and to Council Agendas, and then to 9/13 Study Session).

When: Tuesday Night, September 13, 7 pm.  It is not imperative that you be there on time, but there is a possibility of a rather full chamber (we hope)

The City Council needs YOU to show your support. The strength of our protection depends directly on having your attendance.  We have already heard that pro-smoking forces intend to show up at this meeting "in force."  We CANNOT be outnumbered at this public hearing!!

If you would like a FREE "Everyone Deserves Clean Indoor Air" t-shirt, just RSVP to me and I'll be sure we have one for you.  (while supplies last).

The CU Smokefree Alliance has worked hard for nearly two years to bring this opportunity to the City of Champaign and now the city council members must hear from YOU!

Particularly if you live in Gina Jackson (District 1: ph. 352-3246) or Marci Dodd's district (District 4: 351-4765) you should call or email them NOW to let them know of your support (even if you've contacted them before). If you leave a message, just say "Hi, my name is ____, I live in your district and I want you to know that I strongly support smokefree public places in Champaign and hope you will vote in favor of this issue Tuesday night."  Or whatever you like. You can look at the districts at the city web site and get full contact information there.

On other news, this weekend was another successful Urbana Farmer's Market.  As a result, another 120 postcards will be sent to council members in Champaign and Urbana (over 2,000 will be mailed or have been mailed already!!)  Much thanks to George, Cheri, Kathy, Dan, and myself for helping out there.

At the Farmer's Market we met a member of our community (and the U of I) who was involved with the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air-conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) who sets the standards for indoor air systems.  Their recent position recommends that there is NO WAY that ventilation, separation, or other engineering solutions can protect the public from the health dangers from secondhand smoke.  Their recommendation is to ban smoking entirely from all indoor places.  This is a major statement from a very respectable of people who are not public health experts, per se, and their conclusion lends much credibility to our cause.

View the report at:
http://www.ashrae.org/content/ASHRAE/ASHRAE/ArticleAltFormat/20058211239_347.pdf

Our advertising efforts continue with radio advertising running on WDWS tomorrow and Tuesday. We have television advertising running on several insight cable stations, and print ads continue in the News-Gazette with our waitress with Stage 4 throat cancer ad running today.  (Business Section, page C-5). This is a TRUE STORY.  She has already been discredited by Mike Ditka in the Chicago press.

Speaking of WDWS, those who can should call into "Penny for your Thoughts" at 10am on Monday and Tuesday (AM 1400). Tune in if you can!

The C-U Public Health Department has just released a press release with the preliminary of their monitoring of indoor air in public places here in Champaign.  There should be some stories on this on Monday.  The press release should be available on the website soon!

Finally, if you care to make a contribution to our effort, CU Smokefree has made donating to our cause easier than ever.  Just go to the website and you can click on the Paypal button and contribute using your checking account, a credit card or another Paypal account.

Thank you again for your support,

And we hope to see you Tuesday.  Reply RSVP me for a free t-shirt!

Thanks,

Scott Hays
The Prez
sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com