[C-U Smokefree] Proposed smoking ban fails in Champaign

Varble, Matt Matt_Varble at admworld.com
Thu Sep 15 08:09:26 CDT 2005

That analysis is fairly accurate. Dodds and Ennen never supported a
total indoor ban and both of them cooked up their ultra "total ban"
including private clubs strategy as a means of political posturing
knowing it would fail since there were absolutely no exceptions (even
for a PRIVATE club) which would be viewed as potentially too extreme to
pass.

Pirok has been consistent all along and did say a long time ago he would
do a restaurant ban only. I also know that Dodds and Ennen adopted the
Mayor Jerry's arguments on this and were nodding in agreement with every
single opposition argument. Dodds also told me that I shouldn't have
pressured her by sending out email to OUR supporters requesting they
contact her to ask her to support a smoke-free ordinance. Apparently
Dodds (wrongly) feels that public input and grass roots organizations
mobilizing her district residents to contact her on this issue is
inappropriate based on her response.

Ennen has always been extremely unpleasant toward people and shouldn't
be a member of council based upon how much contempt she exhibits towards
the people and how lacking of people skills she has.