[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 22:14:09 CDT 2005

Dear Smokefree Supporters,

As we all recover from the shock, amazement, and bewilderment over what happened Tuesday in Champaign City Council chambers, we would all do well to look to the silver lining.

Most of us would say that the votes taken at Tuesday's night's meeting exceeded our highest expectations.  Even up to the meeting none of us would have or could have anticipated a 4 to 5 to vote in favor of a comprehensive smokefree policy for all indoor restaurants and bars in Champaign! After working hard to bring our organizatin to accept a compromise and agree to a restaurant-limited smokefree policy, we felt reasonably certain that council would agree to such a compromise Tuesday night.

However, when two members - Marci Dodds and Kathy Ennen - expressed support for the ban only if it were comprehensive, we all registered surprise. And the vote was even more of a surprise. We need to heartily thank our 6 pro-health members of council and to reiterate to them that we want them to work out a compromise that all can accept.

Several other aspects of Tuesday night's meeting are notable.  Among the 40 speakers, supporters outnumbered opponents by nearly a two to one margin.  There were 26 speaking in favor and 14 opposed.  The turnout at the meeting was amazing!  It was a standing room only crowd.

Another bright note is that our organization, despite our narrow loss has emerged stronger and more vital than ever with several new members and new contributions.  Today in John Foreman's column we were characterized as "handsomely bankrolled and thoroughly energized." Actually, I agree with the energized part.  And Foreman said that we "unleashed on Champaign City Council the sort of lobbying effort typically reserved for those trying to work their will on state legislators or Congress."  This is a real credit to the abilities of our grassroots volunteers and we all deserve a pat on the back.

At this point, we turn our attention to several possible strategies:

Celebrate and thank our supporters (all six of them on council) and encourage them to come to compromise around an ordinance they all support as we press for reconsideration of this issue.

Focus on going to the voters in a campaign for a referendum, which would be non-binding.

Turn our attention to Urbana.

We will be discussing these - and perhaps other - strategies at our next meeting on Wednesday night at 5:30 pm at Parkland College, room L159.

Meantime, several supporters have expressed an interest in attending Tuesday night's city council meeting to register both their support for the policy and how upset they are with the council's inaction. While CU Smokefree is not directly endorsing such an effort, any citizen is certainly welcome to address their city council at any point and on any topic.  We encourage all of you to communicate your concerns directly to council members through email, telephone calls, personal meetings, and to speak up at public meetings.

Thank you and we hope to see you Wednesday.

PS: Despite the statement about being "heavily bankrolled" we are actually a bit in debt at this point.  If you would like to make a contribution, please check out our website at www.cu-smokefree.org.

Thanks again, and C-U Smokefree (someday soon),

Scott
The Prez
sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
www.cu-smokefree.org