[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 09:39:35 CDT 2006

Just a few quick strategic updates:

Kathy Gary and I met last night with Giraldo and
Dennis regarding the timing and planning for the
introduction of simultaneous ordinances in Urbana and
Champaign.

Urbana will take up this issue at a special
"Executive Caucus" meeting next Monday night April 17
after the regular council meeting (which should be
relatively short).

At the Urbana regular council meeting, we intend to
speak to the council regarding the report from the
Urbana Public Forum, which we feel should be ready by
now, and to share other updates with the Urbana
Council members.  All members and supporters are
welcome to attend.

As for the Caucus Meeting, it too is open to the
public, but it is probably neither necessary nor
advisable to have a large showing there at this point,
but a few members should stay for that (I plan on
staying).  There is no opportunity for public comment
or input at these caucus meetings. The caucus room is
VERY small.

Giraldo Rosales is ready to move forward in Champaign
with the same draft ordinance we prepared last
November and with the same tentative coalition of five
supporters: Rosales, Jackson, Bruno, Dodds, and Ennen.
Both Ennen and Pirok should be lobbied hard to support
this at this point. Letters to the Editor are VERY
MUCH essential NOW!!

Our sense and our plan is for Champaign to deal with
the issue first (and pass it) with Urbana immediately
following suit. Given a "yes" vote in Champaign, we
can TENTATIVELY assume unanimous support in Urbana. If
Champaign votes no, we go forward in Urbana with a
minimum 4 vote winning coalition of supporters, then
we work to replace Kathy Ennen with a smokefree
supporter after July (on the assumption that it would
be Ennen who would cause it to fail).

TENTATIVELY (and I emphasize tentatively
intentionally), our plan is to have the Urbana
Committee of the Whole meeting address this issue
Monday, May 15, the Champaign final vote on their
ordinance Tuesday May 16, and then the Urbana final
vote Monday, May 22. The effective date of our new
twin-city ordinances will be June 30/July 1 and then
we can all go out for a smokefree drink!

I, for one, am really looking forward to the first of
July!

Scott
The Prez
sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com