[C-U Smokefree] About Public Comments that were to be made by Cheri Manrique

George Carlisle carlisle at soltec.net
Wed Mar 22 10:57:33 CST 2006

Dear Mayor Prussing:

I saw Cheri leave the meeting just a few minutes before you called her name.  She told me she had come to meeting to speak up on the anti-smoking issue.

She has not been well lately. She was coughing a lot the day we had the forum at Carle.  She is also diabetic and sometimes has low blood sugar reactions.  I was sorry she did not get to speak out.  Cigarette smoke bothers her greatly, and she has asthma attacks very easily.

She would very much like a smoke-free venue to play her guitar and to listen to jazz music.

We need to expedite passage of an ordinance to ban smoking  in public places, for her sake.

I am sure she would enjoy the proposed music on the upper deck of the parking garage, but even there, the smoke is likely to bother her a lot.

We need to make the Iron Post smoke-free. Many popular groups play music there.
There are many folks besides Cheri who are unable to tolerate smoke. I don't like cigarette smoke, although I still smoke a pipe occasionally at home.  We must do something as soon as possible to rid this terrible public health menace, second-hand smoke!