[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 10:43:51 CST 2006

Greetings to all,

Just a few updates to all of our supporters about our
goings-on.

There's no major movement at this point, so I'll fill
you in on what is happening.

First, we have our regular monthly meeting NEXT
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5 AT 5:30 AT CARLE FORUM, LAUHOFF
CONFERENCE ROOM. Please try to make the meeting for
more discussion, planning and information.

Most folks are perhaps interested in Urbana at this
point.  The word on the street is that they're looking
to Champaign for a cooperative effort.  Word is that
if Champaigan will get on board, we'd have a unanimous
vote out of Urbana. While this is something we
obviously support, we're not optimistic that Champaign
will come along, even with Urbana's prompting.

But we welcome the outreach of Urbana to Champaign and
we can only hope that if they (as we) are rebuffed in
Champaign, Urbana will have the leadership to make
their city smokefree regardless of Champaign's
decision. We have to convince them that they can.

As for Champaign, Marci Dodds recently intimated to
the press that she'd not abstain on this issue, and
she seemed to support a comprehensive ordinance (that
is, if Urbana would pass one, too - how convenient).
That means we might have as many as four Champaign
Council members (Rosales, Jackson, Bruno, Dodds) who
could support a comprehensive ordinance.

At this point, we hear that Ken Pirok will not budge
from his position that he would only support smokefree
restaurants (not bars), and he's our logical fifth
vote.  Kathy Ennen remains a wild card and a presumed
opponent, despite her statement, and her vote, in
favor a comprehensive ordinance.

In other news, we were trying to have a smokefree
community mobilization and education concert hosted by
the Canopy Club. While they're currently smoking
permitted, they do host a number of smokefree shows,
and owner Ian Goldberg is supportive of a
comprehensive policy, but only if Champaign goes along
(he's in Urbana).  However, it looks like the
financing to support the show will not come through
and this will not happen by the end of the semester
when the students leave.

More likely is a second-annual smokefree fundraiser at
Ned Kelly's.  Once again, John Schmitt will generously
donate a share of the proceeds to CU Smokefree for an
evening of dining - and as a first, John will be
having live entertainment for the event. We'll fill
you in more later.

We'll be having a meeting very soon with the editorial
board of the News-Gazette to provide them with the
information and facts they need to - maybe, just maybe
- come to a supportive position on this issue.  This
is something we should have done a while ago. I'll let
you know the outcome of that meeting.

Listen soon for our new radio ad. We're in the process
of recruiting a local voice to record the ad and it
will begin to air locally very soon.

Finally, we'll be making a major push to recruit the
support of local physicians and to seek out a local
"spokesdoctor" for our cause. If anyone has any leads
or contacts, please pass them along to me or follow up
on them yourself.  We'll be circulating a physician's
petition - so get your doctor, dentist, chiropractor
or other healer on board!

That's it for now, and don't forget about our meeting
Wednesday!

CU Smokefree

Scott
The Prez