[C-U Smokefree] Champaign to rescind ban

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 11:30:33 CDT 2007

Hi to all who yearn to keep breathing free,

The CU Smokefree Alliance has done all it can to
support and implement the Clean Indoor Air Ordinance
in Champaign.

And in the aftermath of our victory in Springfield,
Mayor Schweighart has proposed a complete repeal of
the Clean Indoor Air Ordinance and now has the council
votes to easily do it.

So now it is YOUR turn.

While there is only a faint hope that this juggernaut
can be stopped given Champaign council dynamics,
opposing council members have promised to have a frank
discussion with LOCAL BAR OWNERS to decide how they
should vote.

These council members must also hear from YOU!!

I ask all who receive this email, but especially those
who live in Champaign, to go to our website
www.cu-smokefree.org and under "How to Get Involved,
go Champaign Council Contact Information.  There is
contact information for all council members there.

Let them know YOU are enjoying a smokefree city, YOU
haven't seen evidence of a suffering local
entertainment scene, that YOU do not want to see your
city regress in protecting public health, and that you
want them to oppose rescinding our smokefree
ordinance. They need to hear from all of you now more
than ever!

Email is OK, but phone calls are better.

The opposition cabal consists of Schweighart,
McIntosh, LaDue, Foster and Feinen. Contacts and
comments should be directed to them - we have every
reason to believe our supporters remain solidly in
support of the clean indoor air ordinance (Bruno,
Pirok, Jackson and Dodds).  But you could send them a
different message thanking them for their solid
support.

Finally, we should all try to show up en masse at the
Council meeting May 15 when this ordinance will be on
the agenda, so mark your calendars.

And last but not least, please forward this email to
any other friends or group lists you know.

And thank you for your support!

Scott Hays
President
CU Smokefree Alliance