[CUWiN-Dev] CUWireless.net move.

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Sat Mar 12 10:58:26 CST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, David Young wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 08:21:08PM -0600, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm going to start working with Stephen Mansour to do our site move to
>> Drupal.  What I'll probably ask him to do is mirror all our content and
>> then, once the site works perfectly elsewhere, look to do the switch.
>> This'll mean that we shouldn't see any downtime on our site while we
>> migrate.
>
> Sorry I did not respond earlier re: Drupal, I've been busy.
>
> How does this system help to resolve the historical conflict between
> programmers and non-programmers over our web-editing?  It looks like it
> is still the worst of both worlds: neither programmer nor non-programmer
> has a fluent interface to the content---that is, it doesn't play nice
> with either vi/emacs and plain-html, or Word/RTF/whatever.  Maybe I've
> missed something.

Drupal is a web-based interface (like Webeasel); but unlike Webeasel you
can just drop plain text or html into the page (so you can copy-paste from
word/rtf, or filtered html, or full html, or even php).  So it's a lot
more friendly to a variety of different users.

> I would feel better about a switch if Chase endorsed Drupal, if somebody
> showed that our historical users and use-cases were accounted for, etc.

Here's some use cases: http://drupal.org/cases

Here's some general info: http://drupal.org/about

I think it's also important to keep in mind that we'd be gaining a Drupal
administrator on the team who could handle any problems we might run into;
while, at the same time, freeing up Chase to devote his energies to other
things.

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
President                 *   Project Coordinator   *   Policy Analyst