[CUWiN-Dev] Flash Compression

Quantum Scientific Info at Quantum-Sci.com
Mon Mar 14 13:58:37 CST 2005

On Monday 14 March 2005 12:53, David Young wrote:
> CompactFlash cards do their own wear-leveling, so JFFS is not needed.

I don't think so, as most are NOR.  Wear levelling isn't so important though
when your system runs in ramdisk I suppose.

But I believe you are using the flash as a block device (emulated), which
means you probably have two journalling file systems on top of one another
(depending on the drivers): one is the flash translation layer, and the other
is UFS-44bsd.  JFFS would be one journalling filesystem, and it has
compression as well.
http://sourceware.org/jffs2/jffs2-html/node1.html
Just a suggestion.  I do not know whether it would be bootable with just one
partition.

Another option to save space on flash, is compression of directory structures
into files on flash, with dynamic decompression on boot to ramdisk -- CIFS.
This is bootable with just one part.

If the system image could be reduced below 16MB, no hardware modification to
the Belkin or other router would be needed, to do remote updates.  I was
surprised to find the image is only 22.5MB now, so it may compress to 12MB.

Carl Cook