[CUWiN-Dev] Quagga Routing Protocol?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Mar 14 12:53:20 CST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:02:59AM -0600, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> On Sunday 13 March 2005 18:20, David Young wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:40:25PM -0600, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> > > zebra
> > > bgpd
> > > ospfd
> > > ospf6d
> > > ripd
> > > ripngd
> > > isisd
> >
> > hslsd?
>
> The above list is explicitly hooked into Quagga.  What I don't know is whether
> Quagga is just a -wrapper- for the routing daemons, meaning that it could do
> hslsd as well.  It appears so.  And I don't know how suited HSLS would be to
> standard wire routing, and mixed wired/wireless.  I imagine ETX would be
> needed, and I'm sure path costs would be affected.

The way it works is that the zebra daemon keeps the Routing Information
Base (RIB), which is where all the various protocols' routes are
concentrated and redistributed to each other.  hslsd, ospfd, isisd, etc.,
all send their routes to zebra.  Zebra distills the information in the
RIB to destination-nexthop pairs that form the Forwarding Information Base
(FIB).  It loads the FIB into the kernel forwarding table.

HSLS will be fine for wire routing.  There are a few case where it is
not (yet) very efficient.  For example, I have not optimized it for
broadcast networks.  I think you would have to add tens of stations to
a broadcast network before you would notice any difference.

> > > Is it possible to use HSLS as a LAN routing protocol?  Advisable to
> > > use something else?
> >
> > I don't understand what you are trying to do.
>
> I'm trying to make IPV6 routing work on our gateway in a way that would be
> tightly-coupled with meshed clouds.  Hell, I'd be happy if IPV6 routing
> worked at all;  IPV6 is just taking too much time to do right, and that's a
> bad sign.

Hmm.  We don't have a system for advertising IPv6 gateways and prefixes
throughout the network, yet.  Sounds like you might be looking for that.
There is a design for this in doc/local/gateway-discovery.  I will not
personally have time to program that until April or May.  I'm laying
the foundations (opaque LSAs and API), now.

> I've begun studying the CUWin image, and you've got a disciplined install
> there.  Nice and clean.  I guess your actual kernel config file is in the
> sources?  Is there a reduction script to make a final image? (stripping out
> unneeded files)  Have you considered JFFS?

The kernel config files are in src/boot-image/kernel-conf/.  We filter
a lot of unneeded files out of the standard distribution; some of the
scripts that do that are in src/boot-image/filter-syspkg/.  We can shrink
things a lot more---we have barely scratched the surface.

CompactFlash cards do their own wear-leveling, so JFFS is not needed.