[CUWiN-Dev] Re: Node Specifications ...

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Mar 16 17:39:07 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:03:28PM -0500, Patrick wrote:
> Don't kill the messenger, but ... our cost analysis is more like a $65
> savings per unit.
>
> We used an apples to apples comparison (i.e., SOEKRIS 4826-50 with
> identical CPU ... 266 MHz National Geode ... and memory 128 MB and single
> LAN port). In a lot of 10-19 the SOEKRIS price is $186. When we ordered
> directly from PCEngines, we specified WRAP.2C w/ 1 LAN and 128 MB SDRAM
> (even though our very tight linux kernel only requires 8 MB and it is a
> dual radio router with cross radio routing on board to interconnect the
> 11a backhaul links with the 11b/g AP links). In a lot of 10, the PCEngines
> price is $110.
>
> QED about $65 dollars in savings. (with a $10 CF memory).

I'm wondering just what we give up, using the WRAP?  I know that the
WRAP is without a battery-backup for the real-time clock---no biggie.
The Soekris board accepts a much wider range of voltages.  Is there
anything important missing?

How much CF can I buy for $10?

> In addition, PCEngines has been more professional and helpful with support
> (translation ... they don't seem to jerk us around like SOEKRIS has done
> ... so far).

FWIW, Soekris is not too interested in small quantities that CWNs buy.
Maybe they're jerking anybody around, they just have set you at a low
priority.