[CUWiN-Dev] Setting Up UML Image

Quantum Scientific Info at Quantum-Sci.com
Thu Mar 17 09:46:10 CST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 4:24, David Young wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:36:00PM -0600, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> > Spent all day on this.  Trying to set up a container file in which to
install
> > NetBSD for UML.  There is no bsdlabel nor disklabel for Linux, so using
the
> > NetBSD Live CD.  I think it's just being obstreperous, and is
-intentionally-
> > resisting arrest.  Is this what it's always like to work on BSD?
> > Also still wondering about the questions below.  Time to go drink.
>
> Ummm, ...

WTF is this supposed to mean?  Is this some kind of idiotic judgementalism?

> ... clearly you have not Read The Fine Manual.
>
> I might be able to help you better if you explained what you were trying
> to do.

David, enough of the attitude.  I have read the manual, which is where I got a
few of the examples.  I've seen others ridiculed in the BSD newsgroups with
"obviously you didn't read the FAQ".  When I checked the FAQ, their question
wasn't even there.  Some would call this a bad attitude, but I call it an
'intellectual crime', and it bodes ill for the future.

I believe in an open, collaborative environment, where people are not afraid
to show their knowledge gaps.  I make it a practice to lay out all the info
that I know, with the gaps and without fear of looking stupid, in hopes of
filling someone else's gaps and them filling in mine;  an academic
environment.  But the sort of behaviour I've seen on BSD lists leads to fear,
and an arid climate with little progress.  Sick.

We are about to leave this project, because it appears that you are the only
one who really knows the CUWin system, and I am not willing to play games.
You obviously have talent, and I have already acknowledged that, but we must
move forward without foolish encumbrances like 'appearances' and games like
"who's got lowest priority".  Some of us are not paid to be here.  Our future
is too important to be treated in any way other than scientifically.

You know that I am trying to build the system inside an image file.  And that
I was trying to align our routing and DNS with the project.  You know this.

Carl Cook