[CUWiN-Dev] Setting Up UML Image

Quantum Scientific Info at Quantum-Sci.com
Sat Mar 19 09:32:09 CST 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 18:55, David Young wrote:
> I've spent way more than one minute, and we are no nearer a solution to
> your problem than you were a few days ago, because you hasten to take
> offense at my questions, instead of answering

The answer doesn't matter to me at this point, but obviously I was trying to
build the system inside a container file.  There are probably three commands
to create the file and format it with UFS-44bsd, so it can be operated on
virtualized in any OS.  There are a few more commands to set up a chroot
environment in that file and build NetBSD, depending on the host OS.  This
would be the platform that others can work in to contribute to the project,
if one chooses to -not- make NetBSD their life, and this is what I was
working toward, as you know.

I suggest it would be helpful to others if instructions for this were
published (don't ask me), so volunteers wouldn't waste days struggling with
the idiosyncrasies of one-time NetBSD preparation, and can concentrate
instead on getting used to a -running- NetBSD and contributing.  The BSD
barrier is high enough as it is!  I've heard from others in the past day or
so who have struggled against this very inaccessibility problem, like me.  It
remains a mystery how -you- build the development image.  There can be none
of this high-flautin' uber-guru affectation in a cooperative project, or
people will just quietly go away.  Unfortunately, I'm not so quiet.

Just one command was all I needed (mounting loopback) , and it cost me a full
day with no success.  I had tried all permutations of vn0, vnd0, etc (which
names don't make sense anyway for a lo device... what do we actually call it?
A loopback device, or a virtual device?), and they all failed.  Maybe it had
something to do with the Live CD, I don't know...  but I wasn't about to
install NetBSD on one of my systems just to prepare an image I was going to
UML in Debian.

In my opinion now, BSD is a non-starter.  It is just too primitive, and there
is absolutely no advantage.  It is a mistake.  I'm just sayin' it, being a
Texan.

> My question was, what is this about UML?  Maybe I can help you with that.

I never got to the point of UML, and that is not a problem anyway.  I needed
the NetBSD image, to run in a UML environment.

Carl Cook