[CUWiN-Dev] Setting Up UML Image

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Mar 18 18:55:38 CST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:28:13PM -0600, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 14:57, David Young wrote:
> > >From my perspective, you hastily sent the mailing list a question that
> > you ought to have taken to the manual pages, instead.
>
> >From my perspective, you cannot be relied on as a collaborator.  I was
> actually telling you that I had just spent a -full- day, unsuccessfully
> attempting a -collateral- operation, which it would have taken you -one
> minute- to help with.  My intent was to get on with business, rather than
> bit-twiddling, and it is disturbing that you don't understand that yet.

I've spent way more than one minute, and we are no nearer a solution to
your problem than you were a few days ago, because you hasten to take
offense at my questions, instead of answering---just for example:

> > Were you reading the manual pages for the right system?
>
> Please.  What if I were so condescending to you?

Carl, be reasonable.  That is an ego-neutral question.  We all make
mistakes.  Researching further, it looks to me like you were taking your
examples from FreeBSD manual pages, not NetBSD manual pages.  FreeBSD has
a vn0 device; NetBSD has vnd0.  In FreeBSD, mdconfig takes several flags;
in NetBSD, it doesn't.

> > Pay close attention to what the programs tell you.  In your previous
> > e-mail, mdconfig printed a helpful message---sometimes I overlook messages
> > just like this after I get all bleary-eyed or frustrated from hacking
> > all day:
> >
> > usage: mdconfig <device> <512-byte-blocks>
> >
> > It sounds to me like you are trying to run NetBSD inside of a "virtual"
> > Linux.
>
> No, as I said, I was running the NetBSD Live CD.  I was running -native- BSD
> David.

My question was, what is this about UML?  Maybe I can help you with that.