[CUWiN-Dev] Re: much simpler upgrades

Bryan Cribbs bdcribbs at ojctech.com
Sat Mar 19 11:03:28 CST 2005

* tom <tom at anotherwastedday.com> :
> I went by the node at 707 Race last night just to see how far I could get,
> but ran into the expected problem of not being able to identify the exact IP
> address of the node. I could see both the cuwireless.net and cuw networks,
> but short of doing an ip scan on the entire range (169.254.0.0 to
> 169.254.254.254, which would take forever) I couldn't think of a good way to
> determine the node's IP.

For the benefit of those who haven't tried this, sending one or
two broadcast pings to the subnet is one way to find your neighbors,
but that doesn't seem to work using windows (or cygwin).
I guess the arp table didn't help? (I don't recall the Windows
command to see it).
This seems like a silly problem to have, but I don't know how, in
Windows (even with cygwin) to find the IP of that node you know
is right in front of you.

BTW, older images (certainly the SSID cuw ones) will not have the
169.254. alias, but will be reachable on 10.0.

> This idea of turning a laptop into a mobile node seems promising, so I
> thought I would try it out. Using the 0.5.5 image that's on the
> cuwireless.net page, I made a bootable CD and booted to it, but after
> announcing its doing the primary bootstrap it just sits there. I seem to
> recall that it's supposed to take a while, but how long are talking? What's
> supposed to happen, will it give me a command line?

Hmm.. that sounds like maybe it's still trying to use the serial
port as it's console, but the recent published ISO images should
not be doing that.