[CUWiN-Dev] Re: much simpler upgrades

tom tom at anotherwastedday.com
Mon Mar 21 12:45:04 CST 2005

I tried this last night, with some success. I can find the IP of a couple of
the nodes, but couldn't manage to connect to any of them. Manually setting
my IP address to be on the same subnet and then trying to SSH into them over
the air resulted in "no route to host" messages. What *did* work was getting
a DHCP lease from the access point that people have plugged into their nodes
and then using that connection to SSH into the node. From there I ran into
trouble actually doing the upgrade, for whatever reason it would go through
the procedure of installing the upgrade but then would spit SSH error
messages at me. I didn't have time to try that more extensively, though, so
it might not be a big issue.

A couple things:

1. I thought the cuwireless.net SSID corresponded to a 169.254 address and
cuw to 10.0 - is that not true? I mostly saw cuwireless.net SSIDs, but 10.0
addresses. I don't know when the IP switch took place, so maybe its not
related to the SSID switch at all.

2. Outside of 707 Race I picked up what appeared to be almost a dozen
cuwireless.net nodes - all with similar mac addresses. Is this due to one of
the nodes changing its mac around? I don't think there should be that many
visible from there.

3. I'm going to start compiling a list of the nodes' IP addresses as I
figure out what's what. Where's the best place to put this, on the wiki?

I'm going out of town this afternoon through Sunday, so I'll continue trying
things once I get back.

Tom