[Cu-wireless] NetStumbling map..

stephane_alnet at ureach.com stephane_alnet at ureach.com
Mon Apr 1 22:59:03 CST 2002

Hi,

I started doing some data collection around town last week and this
week-end. I've put my initial results in a map-like output here:

http://mapper.shimaore.net/Mapper/wireless/index.html

For now, the 'map' is an HTML table with inline pictures. You'll see
colored "crosses" on the images; each symbol's color is dictated by the
SSID reported by NetStumbler (i.e. same color = same station/ wireless
card); the size of the symbol is related to the signal power. An "ALT"
entry shows the network names present in each picture.

Downtown Urbana is on the far right; you'll recognize Race Street pretty
easily because there's a whole green area that says "imcair". ;)  Left
side is (top to bottom) close to our apartment (Kenwood south of
Springfield), then Mattis, then (bottom) Fox drive north of Windsor (my
morning commute for whose who wonder :] ).

I'll be adding more data as I collect them; if you have a dataset you want
me to add, please use the "Export" function of NetStumbler, export as
"text", and send me the output as an attachment. :)

Stéphane