[Cu-wireless] NetStumbling map..

by way of Illustrious niteshad <niteshad at whopper.de> niteshad at whopper.de
Tue Apr 2 11:56:43 CST 2002

Sascha,

	From my experience in image processing/data analysis in astronomy and
space physics is that we're going to have to live with a certain amount of
non-uniformity in the graphical data that's presented.  It's often the case that
different classes of data are best represented in different ways, which are
incompatible in the same image.  That is, the overlay of the two data sets
results in a perfectly incomprehensible mess which is suitable only for use
as postmodern art.  Let's hang back on trying to standardize until we see
the limits of our creativity in this area.
	For example, when I saw Stephane's map of his net stumbling last Sunday,
with all the little crosses, I immediately thought that a very cool feature
would be to scale the arms of the cross to the error in the GPS data (xref.
"error bars" from physics).  This way, we'd know not only where the mobile
antenna first aquired a certain signal, but also the relative uncertainty in
the position of that signal.
	BTW, is that the best satellite image of Champaign-Urbana that we have?
It seems rather blurry and low contrast; either it was taken through a
turbulent atmosphere or Ikonos was having a bad day that day.

regards,

Mark

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net