[Cu-wireless] NetStumbling map..

stephane_alnet at ureach.com stephane_alnet at ureach.com
Tue Apr 2 13:42:08 CST 2002

Hi Mark,

> 	For example, when I saw Stephane's map of his net stumbling last Sunday,
> with all the little crosses, I immediately thought that a very cool feature
> would be to scale the arms of the cross to the error in the GPS data (xref.
> "error bars" from physics).  This way, we'd know not only where the mobile
> antenna first aquired a certain signal, but also the relative uncertainty in
> the position of that signal.

Agree, and that was my reference to "toolset"earlier: NetStumbler won't
provide enough GPS-related data, so we need to obtain it somewhere else
(that may mean collecting the GPS infos and the wireless infos
independently and correlating later).

> 	BTW, is that the best satellite image of Champaign-Urbana that we have?
> It seems rather blurry and low contrast; either it was taken through a
> turbulent atmosphere or Ikonos was having a bad day that day.

It's the same set as the one I used for mapper.shimaore.net, i.e. the
TerraServer dataset. I shifted the greyscale 0..255 to 128..255 in order
for the symbols to be more apparent on the screen, so it probably looks
blurry because of that. The scale is 1 pixels => 1 meter.

S.