[Cu-wireless] Meeting Times

Paul King thx at prairienet.org
Tue Apr 9 11:44:11 CDT 2002

Hi Ralph,

Essentially, PrairieNet is a community outreach program run by the
university. Administrative and technical details are mostly handled by
individuals within the LIS program. Their goal is to get as many people in
East Central Illinois online as possible.  I will simply list some of the
bulleted statements from a handout they have:

1. We help individuals get online by providing low cost internet access
and helping low income members of the community get recycled computers and
free online access through the CNI proram.

2. We help seniors and students get online with low cost internet access.

3. We help non-profits and small businesses in East Central Illinois get
their informaiton online and thus available to those who need it through
our information provider accounts.

4. Our webpage helps people find the local resources that they need
through a project called Helpsource which is done in cooperation with
Carle Foundation and Provena Covenant.

...and on and on...

As far as organizational culture goes, I think it would be a very good
fit. Unbeknownst to many, the department is actually very liberal. It
has some powerful allies (Carle and Provena) and is already recognized as
a web-based community resource.

However, as is usually the case with very large institutions (such as the
University), there are politics. One snag that I already know about
is this. They may not be allowed to compete with existing or potentially
existing industry. As you can see from the points above, they merely fill
in the holes that industry leaves behind. I do not know for certain
whether they operate under this principle, but I know that it is a very
common issue in library work in general.

I will look into these issues this summer if the group is interested.

--paul king