[Cu-wireless] ISEN Sunday:

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 12 12:18:51 CDT 2002

Hi all,

We will have access to ISEN starting at 1:30 on Sunday.  Dave and myself
will be working to set up a node between ISEN and the IMC.  Here's an
update on the Race St. Corridor project Zach, Dave, and I have been
working on:

The Race Street Corridor backbone is currently conceptualized to look as
follows:

Zach's-->Maiko's-->Sascha's-->ISEN-->IMC

Zach's house is still under construction.

Maiko's house has some of the infrastructure in place and we're waiting
for the go-ahead to connect her place to mine and Zach's

My house now has a working router and two antennas (one facing North, the
other South) and is just waiting for either Maiko's or Isen to be up and
running.

ISEN will be investigated and perhaps set up on Sunday.

The IMC has a working wireless system in place and will only need a router
and antenna in place pointing to ISEN.

*****

Sunday's plan is to connect the IMC and ISEN:

We have one extra node computer that can be dropped off at the IMC and can
take the computer from my house to place at ISEN.  We have all the antenna
needed but will have to build more to connect the rest of the Race St.
backbone.

*****

I'd like to hear updates from people working on other aspects of the
wireless project.  Mark, I know you've been looking into omni-directional
antenna design -- this looks increasingly important, so keep us updated on
your progress.  For those who are working on mapping connectivity in the
C-U area, this will also prove very important as the project starts
integrating different connection points.

Anyway, we are slowly and deliberatively moving towards having a working
prototype up and running.  Amazingly enough, we are still following the
original schedule we worked out about 6 months ago.  We should be able to
start working on system problems (as opposed to node problems) fairly
soon.

--Sascha