[Cu-wireless] computer recycling event; ham fests?

by way of Illustrious niteshad <niteshad at whopper.de> niteshad at whopper.de
Thu Apr 11 23:12:17 CDT 2002

Yes, I too have heard good things about ham fests, etc.  In fact I was
planning to write the list regarding the Dayton Hamvention.  IIRC, the
Hamvention is the largest Ham Fest of its (or any) kind in the USA, if not North
America.  Now would be the time to start planning to attend.  If memory serves,
it is a four day event held some time in May in Dayton, Ohio.  I think the
URL for the event is www.hamvention.com...

	Yes, that URL is correct; the hamvention is in fact the _world's_ largest
ham radio swap meet.  It's not just for radio gear either, as I've heard of
wearable computer hackers picking up some nifty hardware for cheap prices
there.  This year's hamvention takes place on May 17th-19th.  I'd be willing
to go, the only problem being that lodgings are usually booked a year in
advance.  Does anyone know anyone in Dayton that we could stay with?

	In tangentially related new, I stumbled upon a large garbage bin at
Parkland college chock full of goodies.  The haul was 20 computer manuals and a
Gunn Diode transmitter assembly, complete with feedhorn.  A Gunn Diode, for
those who don't know, is a discrete semiconductor device which radiates in
the microwave spectrum.  This one looks like it should work, except for it's
frayed power leads.  Unfortunately, no related documentation was included, so
I have no idea what its power requirements are.  Gunn diodes are typically
tuned to operate at frequencies of 2-10 GHz with power outputs typically on
the order of a Watt, sometimes more.  If we're lucky, we may have found a
microwave source for test purposes.  If not, I still have plans for the
feedhorn waveguide. :)

regards,

Mark

--