[Cu-wireless] Equipment needs?

Ralph E. Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 14 08:04:23 CDT 2002

I'm writing a budget, and might be able to get some equipment for
community wireless.  I recall someone mentioning some kind of monitor or
measuring device that would be useful for setting up antennas.  It cost
several thousand dollars.  What was this thing, and how useful would it
be?  What kind of reusable equipment should we have?  I might be able to
spend $2000 on it.

I was looking on e-bay recently and found a guy in Indiana who has
several hundred 66MZ 486 boxes with 16 meg of memory that he can't get
rid of.  More precisely, people will not pay $1 + $25 shipping.  Someone
offered $25 for forty of them.  Would these boxes have enough horsepower
to make good routers?  It might be nice to standardize on some
equipment.  I'm not saying we should do it now, but this indicates to me
that we could probably pick up a few hundred similar boxes for $10-$20
apiece when we were ready for them.  Somebody was offering 166MZ
Pentiums with 16 meg and dual ethernet connections for $20 apiece, but
he was in California and the shipping would be murder.

-Ralph Johnson