[Cu-wireless] organize!

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Thu Apr 25 18:28:44 CDT 2002

> However, I have enjoyed what Sascha called, at the last meeting, our
> anarcho-syndicalism.

Believe me, I'm fully dedicated to maintaining such a model. I'm just
trying to encourage the organization of the syndicalist part of that
equation by instigating the formation of affinity groups around
specific work tasks.

I offered a specific time to the Seminar/Theory section because I was
volunteering to host and organize it. If the time/plan I suggested
isn't convenient for others I encourage them to pose alternate
plans. I think it is important to establish stable times for various
purposes.

The model I proposed with the affinity groups was just a suggestion
based on work I see being done by various people. Affinity groups are
just groups of people who want to accomplish the same goals
together. I think it is important for a large monolithic group like
ours to split into smaller working groups to get things done. This
isn't non-anarchic, this is syndicalist.

I'm trying to encourage discussion on how we might acheive the work
goals we want to achieve. Lets enumerate those goals and find out who
is interested in doing what kind of work and how much time people are
willing to commit and then lets have some meetings. Maybe some of the
affinity group formation and meeting time setting will happen at a
sunday meeting or offline but lets keep everyone aware of it.

What I'd like to see as a result of my email is lots of people chiming
in about what they are interested in working on so they can find each
other and work together outside of the monolithic sunday meetings and
with some openness to the general wireless group.

> 	The one problem that I forsee is in the area of incorporating
> CU-Wireless for the purposes of receiving donations of either money
> or hardware.  Such incorporation, even as a 503(c) non-profit, would
> impose a structure on the group that would be anti-thetical to our
> current anarcho-syndicalist model.

Independent incorporation or affiliation with the IMC (itself
organized around participatory consensus based focus groups) would not
neccessarily impose structure on the entire project as long as we
agree to incorporate or affiliate on terms that are compatible with
our existing model. Anarcho-syndicalism doesn't mean unstructured or
unorganized, it just means no heirarchy or implicit power.

I don't see any reason to worry about this until some actual
fundraising effort is underway and I don't see us doing any actual
fundraising for several months (until we have some working testbed
nodes up and running). So lets not worry about this question too much
right now, lets focus on organizing ourselves to get vital R&D work
done so we can build a wireless network.