[Cu-wireless] good buys

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Fri Apr 26 00:18:23 CDT 2002

I don't think any Linux/*BSD driver supports Proxim RangeLan.

The Lucent card will accept an external antenna through a fragile,
expensive connector. The internal antenna will always leak some
radiation. Lucent cards do not have a Prism chipset.

I know nothing about the IBM card, but it is likely to have a Prism
chipset.  Prism chipsets support HostAP mode. I don't know if IBM's card
accepts an external antenna.

The $80 SMC 2652W wireless access point can be flashed with Linux OpenAP
software.

The antennas are worth considering. Do you think their operating
temperatures are given in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Dave

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 11:11:31PM -0500, Ralph Johnson wrote:
> TigerDirect has some $50 wireless PCMCIA cards.
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?Id=3502
> Are any of these particularly good deals?
>
> http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HotNews is a list of good
> buys that people have discovered.
>
> http://www.superpass.com/price.html has lots of antennas that are
> reasonably priced, including an 8dBi omni for $59.50 and a 13dBi
> directional panel for $35.
>
> -Ralph

David Young             OJC Engineering from the Right Brain
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933