[Cu-wireless] optiplex update

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Mon Apr 29 00:56:36 CDT 2002

The Dell Optiplex's will not boot from a CD-ROM. Maybe with a change of
BIOS they will, but it appears they run the latest available BIOS from
Dell. Dell will not produce new updates, the machines are too old. It's
a risky proposition flashing them with any BIOS different than the
manufacturer's.

This is not to say they are not useful.  They are useful for developing a
"live" CD-ROM, but not for testing it.  I can use computers at the office
to test.

Here's an idea, do what you will with it: with some old 10Mb/s hubs
and 10Base-T cable, our policy/routing group can produce a "routing
lab" from the Optiplex's. Using wireless adapters, they can produce a
"wireless routing lab."

David Young             OJC Engineering from the Right Brain
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933