[Cu-wireless] volunteer needed: research cable construction

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 8 22:30:54 CDT 2002

_Not_ a ham (until they finally get completely rid of that silly Morse
code stuff) but here's a few answers.

Yes, do get exacting directions on how to apply connectors. At these
high frequencies, this is essential. I have no experience with building
cables and connections at these freqs, so getting someone who knows how
to demonstrate or advise (like the fellow you mentioned from Alliance)
the specific cennections you need is a _very_ good idea.

On the solder/no-solder debate...soldering (properly done) is alway
better than crimp-on. Yes, you can get fairly reliable connections with
crimp-ons these days. But if you never want to worry about the
connector, solder it on properly.

Some crimping is still involved, even if you go the extra mile and
solder where appropriate. This is a matter of:
1) Have the correct connectors and tools (including the right soldering
rig) to do the job. Be sure, because there is lots of stuff that is very
close, but not right.
2) Practice. Be willing to redo a connection if it seems not quite
right. Practice. Repeat as necessary.

Waterproofing? Don't use the various silicon sealers on electrical
connectors. I've had very good luck with the tacky black Coax-Seal stuff
that Radio Shack sells. Starting with properly applied shrink tubing
over the connector, a good wrap of this stuff and setting up the
connection so that water sheds easily (instead of pooling in any
fashion) off the connection is the way to go.

Strain relief is also very important. Mainly so that things aren't
flopping in the wind (tie it all down with cable ties) and so that there
is just enough slack so that what vibrations from the wind you do get
are damped out by having just a little slack to absorb it. You don't
want things flapping around in any case. And think about how water will
drip down over the connector and cable when you tie things off. The drip
loop is a very important part of the outdoor cable run so that whatever
moisture does run down the cable has a place to go other than into a
connector or the building.
Mike Lehman