[Cu-wireless] sascha update re: public funding

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Thu Aug 15 13:55:48 CDT 2002

hi all,

i offered to work on wireless coordination issues and look into funding
sources for a prototype network.  i would like to attend this evening's
meeting, but i will be helping a friend move so i won't be able to make
it.

dave and i have been scheduling individual meetings with the urbana city
council to discuss public funding of a wireless prototype.  thus far, 3
have endorsed the plan and one more is likely to lend their support over
the weekend.  support would include paying for a T1 connection, granting
access to city property rooftops, paying for basic tools for the project,
and subsidizing basic supply purchases.  we will probably end up asking
for $15-20k/year.  please keep this information confidential for now.

in other news, as decided at our last wireless meeting, we will be signing
a fiscal sponsorship contract with the Urbana-Champaign IMC as soon as i
can corner dave.  this will mean that all donations to the project will be
tax deductible.

--sascha